I forgot how slow/fast summer is sometimes. Last night I had a nightmare that woke me up at 3:21 in the morning then, when I woke up for real, I tripped out of bed and landed hard on the floor. This wouldn't have mattered if it happened yesterday because yesterday my entire floor was covered in a soft blanket of clothes, but I cleaned.
Someone asked me what the best book I've read in the last month is. I just finished After Dark by Murakami and the paperback cover is fabulous looking and the book was dreamy and eerie and a very quick read, but I think the Best Book is going to be Birds of America by Lorrie Moore. I bought it ages ago when I went to Valley Thrift (?) with Brandon and Stephanie and haven't had a chance to read it until now. I've read one of the stories in it before, it was anthologized in a collection called Children Playing Before A Statue of Hercules or something like that.
I feel (just a little bit) like a recluse and miss last summer: weekly outings at Lure, the constant flash of the Polaroid, driving in Britt's van, 3 am trips to Taco Bell, late night sing-alongs to mediocre punk music, walking home from Frank and Tony's or Kate's apartment or wherever we were that night, pointing out painfully obvious undercover cops in the DTW. I'm going to figure it out though.
I'm trying not to think about school so much, but it's hard. I'm fixated on post-graduate life and have been endless searching for job opportunities with alternative schools in northeastern Ohio. There has to be something out there, right?
The new Tilly and the Wall album starts out slow, but gets good around song five.

1 comment:
ooo, i was wondering about the new Tilly and the Wall.
and i know how you feel: i miss last summer a lot, too. now that i am graduated, i'm appreciating summer more than i ever used to, but sadly only have 2 weeks of it left.
aw, i miss trips to the Valley Thrift. i never got to go again before the end of the year. if i make it back to oxford before i move, we should go! (even though that could possibly be the worst decision before moving: getting even more stuff!
and pointing out undercover cops? that sounds like the best pasttime ever!
Post a Comment